[R] changing pen mode [or adjusting for overlapping points?]

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue Mar 11 22:28:43 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Finally, you might also consider using the 'cex' argument in both
> plot() and points(), which can reduce the size of the plotting
> symbols. The default for par(cex) is 1.0, so you might try smaller
> values.

Changing the pointsize helps a bit, however, it makes the points that
aren't overlapped almost impossible to see. [Single pixels in a
1900x1600 plot are quite hard for my eyes to dicern, and it basically
gets back to a mere density plot.]

What I'm really looking for is a method to adjust the mode in which
the points are drawn, so that those that overlap a point of a
different color produce yet a third color in the region of overlap.

Don Armstrong

--
"I was thinking seven figures," he said, "but I would have taken a
hundred grand. I'm not a greedy person." [All for a moldy bottle of

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu