[R] mozilla and R -- again

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 28 02:19:25 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> With all the problems using java-based search on Linux I was wondering
> why java was needed.  Could this have been done more simply?  I am not
> very knowledgeable about java so please forgive me if the answer is
> obvious.

Well, the searching needs a search program to be run, triggered by
something you do in the browser.

This requires either a program that can run in the browser (Java, as
JavaScript I don't think can handle this sort of thing) or requires some
way of calling R from the browser (even worse).

Better solutions would seem to require either R doing the HTML rendering
or R running an HTTP server.  Neither is out of the question, but it isn't
straightforward.  Stata uses the former solution and I believe SAS uses
the latter.

	-thomas