[R] Statistical computing

Tanya Murphy tmurph6 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 28 17:42:18 CET 2003

Hello,

I've been trying to familiarize myself with the computing tools of the trade
(e.g. SAS, R, Perl, LaTex) and I've been getting somewhere with the individual
programs, but I'm trying to get a better sense of how to integrate these
tools. I'd like to use scripts and create reports in a more organized way. Can
anyone recommend books or, better yet free online articles, on this topic?
Maybe I should be a little more specific about what I do: I'm a research
assistant in clinical epidemiology doing mainly data management and analysis.
I do a number of repetitive tasks like updating a research database from the
original clinic database and other sources, create reports, create graphical
output for individual patients, as well as work on individual research
projects. Unfortunately I am not working closely with 'real' statisticians who
have probably developped good work habits using these tools. Any advice on
'the big picture' would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tanya Murphy