[R] Statistical computing

Frank E Harrell Jr fharrell at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 28 18:43:25 CET 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:42:18 -0500
Tanya Murphy <tmurph6 at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to familiarize myself with the computing tools of the trade
> (e.g. SAS, R, Perl, LaTex) and I've been getting somewhere with the individual
> programs, but I'm trying to get a better sense of how to integrate these
> tools. I'd like to use scripts and create reports in a more organized way. Can
> anyone recommend books or, better yet free online articles, on this topic?
> Maybe I should be a little more specific about what I do: I'm a research
> assistant in clinical epidemiology doing mainly data management and analysis.
> I do a number of repetitive tasks like updating a research database from the
> original clinic database and other sources, create reports, create graphical
> output for individual patients, as well as work on individual research
> projects. Unfortunately I am not working closely with 'real' statisticians who
> have probably developped good work habits using these tools. Any advice on
> 'the big picture' would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tanya Murphy

Take a look at the following:

http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/teaching/statcomp/notes.pdf
http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/s/doc/splus.pdf
http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/teaching/statcomp
http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/presentations/feh/clinreport/dmcreport.pdf

For statistical reports you have chosen well, in considering intergrating R and LaTeX.  The Alzola-Harrell text also covers a bit about using make and Perl to run scripts (to get data from SAS to R, run R, etc.).
--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences