[R] ROracle problem with Oracle9i on Red Hat 8.0

michael.seewald@vie.boehringer-ingelheim.com michael.seewald at vie.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Wed May 14 13:53:51 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have a problem executing "library(ROracle)" in R:

OS/Software:
Redhat 8.0, all available patches applied
Oracle 9i v9.2.0.1.0
R v1.7.0
ROracle v0.5-0
DBI v0.1-5

The compilation and installation of ROracle went fine. However when I try to
load ROracle I get the following:
>> library(ROracle)
>Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>        unable to load shared library
"/home/michael/software/R/R-1.7.0/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so":
>  /home/michael/software/R/R-1.7.0/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so:
undefined symbol: sqlca
>Error in library(ROracle) : .First.lib failed

The 2 solutions mentioned in ROracle/inst/INSTALL don't seem to help (1:
define $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, 2: compile statically).

Is there any solution to this? I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Best wishes,
Michael Seewald

---
Michael Seewald, PhD
Boehringer Ingelheim Austria
Dept NCE Lead Discovery - Bioinformatics
Dr. Boehringergasse 5-11
A-1121 Vienna, Austria
Tel.: ++43-1-80105-2786
Fax: ++43-1-80105-2683