[R] Compile R-1.7.0 on Mac OS 10.2.6

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 15 11:13:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

I can't get R-1.7.0 to compile on my Mac. Can someone give me some
pointers?

The machine is an 800MHz iBook running OS 10.2.6. I have installed the
December 2002 Developers Tools and have installed g77, f2c and dlcompat
via fink. I've checked the versions of g77 and gcc and they're both
based on gcc version 3.1. I've got Apple's X11 (Beta 3). I've added
/sw/bin to my path. I've read through R-admin.pdf, particularly the
appendix on OS X.

The problem seems to be something to do with the fortran compiler. The
final lines of the configure output are:

> checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... configure:
> WARNING: compilation failed
>
> checking for Fortran 77 libraries...
> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
> checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... configure: error:
> cannot compile a simple Fortran program
> See `config.log' for more details.

Checking config.log, both the warning and error are associated with the
following message:

> dyld: g77 version mismatch for library: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
> (compatibility version of user: 4.0.0 greater than library's version:
> 3.0.0)

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
David