Follow-up: [R] Fisher LDA and prior=c(...) argument

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 19 08:28:28 CEST 2003

MASS the package provides suport for MASS the book.  See the latter for
the details, also my book

Ripley, B. D. (1996) Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks. CUP

which explains leave-one-out CV and has the formulae.

Someone else mention n-fold CV.  That, including S code and examples, is
in the MASS book and its scripts are in the MASS package.

Please do not ignore the DESCRIPTION files of a package:
library(help=MASS) says

Package: MASS
Title: Main Library of Venables and Ripley's MASS
BundleDescription: Various functions from the software of Venables and
        Ripley, `Modern Applied Statistics with S' (4th edition).

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Edoardo M Airoldi wrote:

> hello,
>  a clarification.
>
>   I am using LDA and QDA function of MASS library.  I understand Fisher
> LDA is a method non-probabilistic in nature, so I wonder what happens when

Who mentioned Fisher LDA?  Fisher is not mentioned on the help page, and
what is usually called LDA is not due to Fisher.