[R] segmentation fault when loading MASS library

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 26 09:37:50 CEST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Tao Shi wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
> There are two versions of R installed on our Linux cluster: 1.6.2 and 1.7.0
> and both of them have problems with the MASS library.
>
> For the R 1.6.2, whenever I load MASS library by typing library(MASS), there
> is a "segmentation fault" and it automatically exit R.

Has this just started, or has it been happening for 5 months or so since
1.6.2 came out?

> For the R 1.7.0, for some reasons, there is no MASS library (there are also
> other libraries came with the R 1.7.0) are missing.  Since I know the MASS
> library should be part of the R 1.7 distribution package, I went to talk to
> the system administrator who installed R 1.7.  He told me that he didn't do
> anything special during the installation and he's also puzzled how this
> would happen.

What do you expect *us* to do?  This does work on many, many other Linux
systems.  Have you tried building and installing R yourself?  Or getting
the current VR bundle sources from CRAN and installing them yourself?
Or (depending on the Linux version) installing an RPM from CRAN?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk