[R] Downloading packages from CRAN

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 31 01:04:45 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 30 May 2003 rwatkins at cornerstonelp.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:21:11 -0500
> From: rwatkins at cornerstonelp.com
> To: R Help <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Subject: [R] Downloading packages from CRAN
>
> Hello-
> 	I am trying to download packages from CRAN to my Window-based system.  I
> downloaded the most recent version of Perl, as instructed in the Install
> Manual and the "car" package, just as a trial.

I don't think you need Perl to download packages from CRAN, nor do you
need to have Perl installed to to be able to install new package.

How did you download the packages?  The easiest way is probably to do it
within Rgui.  In the menu bar go to Packages -> Install packages from
CRAN..., and select the package(s) you want to install.  The installation
is automatic and the package(s) will be unpacked to the correct place.

> 	Where should they "reside" within my computer:  the unzipped Perl I have
> placed at ...R/rw1070; the "car" package I unzipped and placed at
> ...R/rw1070/library.  Is this correct?  I have tried calling various
> commands via help(...) as a proxy to see if the commands / functions are
> available [perhaps this is incorrect?] and get the message,"No documentation
> for ... in specified packages and libraries"...

Provided you installed the package(s) properly, have you loaded it before
calling the documentation?  Using the car package example:
  > library(car)
  > ?box.cox
seem to work fine.

--
Cheers,

Kevin

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
---- From Computer Stupidities: http://rinkworks.com/stupid/

--
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang