[R] HMisc describe -- error with dates

Frank E Harrell Jr feh3k at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 12 03:25:21 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:40:50 -0500 (EST)
"Gabor Grothendieck" <ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote:

> dates is part of chron.  There may be something wrong in
> Hmisc's detection of chron objects.
>
> > chron(1)
> [1] 01/02/70
>
> > isChron(chron(1))
> FALSE
>
> ---
>
> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:06:38 -0500
> From: <tmurph6 at po-box.mcgill.ca>
> To: Frank E Harrell Jr <feh3k at spamcop.net>
> Cc: <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Subject: Re: [R] HMisc describe -- error with dates
>

> I am using the chron package. I have no preference for which function I
> use. I just want the most reliable format for HMisc functions and
> general plotting. I like the ddmonyyy formats (e.g. 11NOV2003). What
> would you recommend?

I like POSIX but chron should be workable.  The fix for isChron in Hmisc
is:

function(x) {
  cl <- class(x)
  dc <- if(.R.) c('POSIXt','POSIXct','dates','times','chron') else
                c('timeDate','date','dates','times','chron')
  length(cl) && any(cl %in% dc)
}

But describe also runs this command:

  if(isdatetime) notime <- all(format(x.unique,"%H%M%S")=='000000')

and such calls to format for chron objects (which actually calls
format.dates if x.unique is a dates object) do not work.  So a few more
modifications will need to be made in describe to work with chron objects,
when time allows.

Frank