[R] Compiling R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 09:44:53 CET 2003

>From INSTALL:

The main source of information on installation is the `R Installation
and Administration Manual', an HTML copy of which is available as file
`doc/html/R-admin.html'.  Please read that before installing R.  But
if you are impatient, read on but please refer to the manual to
resolve any problems.

Hint: you are missing the readline development RPMs, and that is covered
in the manual you were asked to read.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, John Dougherty wrote:

> I have a generally successful compiled R 1.8.0 version installed on a SuSE 9.0
> system.  One frustration however is that the basic keyboard functions of BASH
> have not completely carried through and the up, down, left and right arrow
> keys don't behave as they do on the regular shell command line.  That is no
> command history can be accessed and the cursor cannot be back-spaced over a
> recalled command to edit it.  I expect that I am missing a "--with-" statment
> but I am not certain what it should be.  	Is there any help file that details
> the fine points for compiling R?  INSTALL does not contain the information I
> am interested in.

but it does tell you *exactly* where to look.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk