[R] conf int mixed effects

Harold Doran hdoran at nasdc.org
Thu Nov 20 16:37:09 CET 2003

I am very curious about this. If a particular growth model is specified to reflect repeated observations on individual i in unit j, such as:

y_{tij} = [B_{00} + B_{01}*(TIME)]+[u_{00}+u_{01}*(TIME)+ e_{tij}]

where Bs are the fixed effects and the u's are the random effects.

The growth of individual i is then computed as:

B_{01} + u_{01}

Is it appropriate to compute a confidence interval around this growth rate? I so, how might this be accomplished? Based on Doug's comments below, it would seem that only a CI can be formulated for the fixed portion of the model.

I would appreciate any clarification.

HCD

------
Harold C. Doran