[R] dvips function gives "Documents not found" error

David Kelly dkelly at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 23 21:52:51 CET 2003

I'm new to R, and using version 1.8.0 on Windows XP, under emacs/ess.
I'm trying to test some simple output flow using functions in the Hmisc
package and hit an error that may be a more general problem than just my
specific situation.

If I issue the command
latex(describe(mtcars), file = “”)
I get what looks like good TeX code output to the console.

However, if I issue the command
dvips(latex(describe(mtcars)),file="friday.ps")

I get the following error:
Error in system(cmd, intern = intern, wait = wait | intern,
show.output.on.console = wait,  :
C:/Documents not found

and I don't find any postscript output file.

I'm guessing the "C:/Documents" reference is actually a problem with
something dealing with paths with embedded spaces and that it's failing
to deal with a path like C:/Documents and Settings/....

What I've been unable to figure out is what file reference it's
hiccuping on, so that I can hopefully find a workaround.  I tried
several things without any change in behavior:
- insuring that the working directory for R didn't have any spaces in
the pathname.
- changing my TEMP and TMP environment variables to paths without any
spaces.
- in the possibility that some piece of software (emacs, R, LaTex) was
looking for the TMPDIR environment variable, tried setting that to a
path without any spaces.

Any ideas, suggestions for further experiments, or solutions would be
welcome!  A copy of any reply to my email address (as well as just
posting to the list) would be appreciated.

Thank you -
David Kelly