[R] dvips function gives "Documents not found" error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 11:53:48 CET 2003

This is a question about Hmisc, I believe, although you certainly did not
mention it.  Looking at the source code I see

    sys(paste("cd", tempdir(), sc, optionsCmds("latex"), tmp))

do my guess is that it is writing .dvi files in tempdir().
If you look up help on tempdir() you will see how to avoid this,

Moral: don't guess, and don't make your readers guess either.

And to Frank Harrell as author of Hmisc: spaces are valid in file names
even on Unix/Linux, so it would be nice if this could be corrected.