[R] compile problem with gzfile

William D. McCoy wdmccoy at geo.umass.edu
Sat Nov 29 00:25:34 CET 2003

I just finished compiling today's r-patched (R 1.8.1 patched) on my
old Sparc 20 using gcc 3.3 along with Sun's f77.

As it was compiling, I noticed an error regarding gzfile.  The compile
process left the methods directory and continued on.  Obviously, there
was a problem, but I don't have the original error message from the
compiler.  After installing R, I get the following error message when
I start R:

Error in open.connection(con, "rb") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open compressed file
`/usr/local/lib/R/library/methods/R/all.rda'

A check for the file 'all.rda' showed that it does not exist.  I do
have gzip installed and I have libz.so.1.1.4 in /usr/local/lib.  I
realize this isn't much to go on, but does anyone have an idea what
might be wrong?  Has anyone had a similar error?

--
William D. McCoy
Geosciences