[R] compile problem with gzfile

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Sat Nov 29 17:25:31 CET 2003

William  -

I don't have an answer for you, just some stream of
consciousness rambling about how I would go about
diagnosing this, if it were my problem.

In my installation directory (of R-1.7.1 on linux) there
is a file  config.log  which contains all of the configure
script's queries and replies.  Yes, there is a difference
between configuring and compiling, but that file might be
one place to start looking for where the problem begins.
For me, 'grep gzfile config.log' returns no matching lines.
However, 'grep methods config.log' returns three lines
which say

config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/DESCRIPTION
config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/Makefile
config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/src/Makefile

Seems odd that the 'methods' package would be the only one
which fails to unpack.  Perhaps the problem is more general,
and, likely, more elementary.

Ah.  When you downloaded the source files, did you set 'binary'
in ftp or equivalent ?

HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -