[R] compile problem with gzfile

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 29 18:03:30 CET 2003

Try compiling after configure --without-zlib (available in a less
obselete system than 1.7.1).  This skips your system's zlib (which is
apparently fragile) and compiles that in the R sources.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Thomas W Blackwell wrote:

> William  -
>
> I don't have an answer for you, just some stream of
> consciousness rambling about how I would go about
> diagnosing this, if it were my problem.
>
> In my installation directory (of R-1.7.1 on linux) there
> is a file  config.log  which contains all of the configure
> script's queries and replies.  Yes, there is a difference
> between configuring and compiling, but that file might be
> one place to start looking for where the problem begins.
> For me, 'grep gzfile config.log' returns no matching lines.

Nor should it: it is lib/zlib that is being invoked, and gzfile() is an R
function.

> However, 'grep methods config.log' returns three lines
> which say
>
> config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/DESCRIPTION
> config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/Makefile
> config.status:884: creating src/library/methods/src/Makefile
>
> Seems odd that the 'methods' package would be the only one
> which fails to unpack.

Not at all.  That is the only package that is installed as a compressed
saved image rather than as a text source file.