[R] compile problem with gzfile

William D. McCoy wdmccoy at geo.umass.edu
Sat Nov 29 22:10:05 CET 2003

Thanks to Brian Ripley and Thomas Blackwell for responses concerning
my problem.  I am following Brian's suggestion and recompiling after
configuring with --without-zlib.  The compile takes a couple of hours
on the old Sparc 20, but the process has passed the point where it
failed before and has successfully completed compiliation of the
methods package.  So it looks like it will be alright.