[R] Installing R in Linux 8.0

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Oct 7 01:34:38 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 18:00, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> Javier Arsuaga <jarsuaga at cc.ucsf.edu> writes:
>
> > I am trying to install R in Linux 8.0 and I downloaded
> > "R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm" and did rpm -hiv R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm
> > and I am getting the following message:
> >
> > warning: R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> > 97d3544e
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libblas.so.3 is needed by R-1.7.1-1
> >
> >         Then I went and look for libblas (which is a linear algebra
> > library) that I found in
> >
> >         http://www.hklpg.org/RPM/libblas.so.3.html
> >
> >         and downloaded
> > 		blas-3.0-9.1mlx.i386.rpm
> >
> >         Tried to do rpm -hiv blas-3.0-9.1mlx.i386.rpm
> >
> > 	and got
> >
> >         error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted
> > (1)
> > error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> >
> >         Any suggestions, idea, help...?????
>
> Wouldn't know about the locking issue -- usually means that you have
> two processes trying to do RPM things. However, the "mlx" in the RPM
> you found suggests that it may be for a non-RedHat distribution
> (muLinux??). There's supposed to be a blas in RedHat itself:
>
> [pd at turmalin R]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libblas.so.3
> blas-3.0-18
>
> so I suggest you get that and install instead.  I believe Martyn
> recently compiled a list of RedHat packages that were necessary to
> install the RPMs and placed them somewhere easily findable.

The RH BLAS RPM can be installed from the RPM Package Manager under
"Engineering and Scientific" Applications if you have the RH
installation CDs.

Alternatively, you can get it from RPMSeek at:

http://rpmseek.com/rpm/blas-3.0-18.i386.html?hl=com&cs=blas:PN:0:0:0:0:212061

The lock message, assuming that it may be the result of multiple
processes or an incomplete process, can generally be removed by using:

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

as root.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz