[R] Installing R in Linux 8.0

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Tue Oct 7 10:11:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 01:00, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> Javier Arsuaga <jarsuaga at cc.ucsf.edu> writes:
>
> > I am trying to install R in Linux 8.0 and I downloaded
> > "R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm" and did rpm -hiv R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm
> > and I am getting the following message:
> >
> > warning: R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> > 97d3544e
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libblas.so.3 is needed by R-1.7.1-1
> >
> >         Then I went and look for libblas (which is a linear algebra
> > library) that I found in
> >
> >         http://www.hklpg.org/RPM/libblas.so.3.html
> >
> >         and downloaded
> > 		blas-3.0-9.1mlx.i386.rpm
> >
> >         Tried to do rpm -hiv blas-3.0-9.1mlx.i386.rpm
> >
> > 	and got
> >
> >         error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted
> > (1)
> > error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> >
> >         Any suggestions, idea, help...?????
>
> Wouldn't know about the locking issue -- usually means that you have
> two processes trying to do RPM things. However, the "mlx" in the RPM
> you found suggests that it may be for a non-RedHat distribution
> (muLinux??). There's supposed to be a blas in RedHat itself:
>
> [pd at turmalin R]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libblas.so.3
> blas-3.0-18
>
> so I suggest you get that and install instead.  I believe Martyn
> recently compiled a list of RedHat packages that were necessary to
> install the RPMs and placed them somewhere easily findable.

That was for Red Hat 9. Javier appears to be using Red Hat 8.0 (NB
Javier NOT Linux 8.0). I haven't got round to doing a list for 8.0.

The R RPMS for Red Hat only depend on other packages that are
distributed with Red Hat Linux.  Your primary source for the required
RPMS should therefore be the set of CDs that you used to install Red
Hat, or the Red Hat web site:

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

The error message means that you forgot to become super user (root)
before attempting to install R.

Martyn