[R] 2 questions regarding base-n and identifing digits

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Oct 9 02:20:19 CEST 2003

Check out:

http://www.wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de/~wolf/software/R-wtools/decodeencode/decodeencode.rev

---
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:39:50 +0200
From: Andrej Kveder <andrejk at zrc-sazu.si>

Dear listers,

I have two questions:
(1)
Is there a way in R to change the base-n of the calculations. I wnat to run
some calculations either in binary (base-2) or base-4. Is there a way to
specify that in R - to chnage from the decimal?

(2)
I also want to extract the digits from a larger number and store them as a
vector.
I could do it through converting top string, parsing the string and
converting back. Is there another way.
It would look something like that:
> a<-1234
[1] 1234
> b<-foo(a)
[1,] 1 2 3 4

Thanks!

Andrej

_________
Andrej Kveder, M.A.
researcher
Institute of Medical Sciences SRS SASA; Novi trg 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana,
Slovenia
phone: +386 1 47 06 440 fax: +386 1 42 61 493