R-WinEdt, [R] 1.8, deprecating warning

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:15:42 CEST 2003

1.) You should not be concerned. I am sure the package maintainer will
fix this soon enough.

1a.) Deprecating means it will not be used in the future. For instance
<- and _ were equivalent in the past, but now _ is deprecated, and can
be used for purposes other than assignment.

2.) You could fix it yourself by changing all the return arguments, but
it will be fixed in due time anyway. Basically, if a function ends with
something like return(blah, blah1, blah2) you could change to
return(list(blah=blah, blah1=blah1, blah2=blah2)) and you wouldn't see
the warnings any more. However, this is just something the package
maintainer will have to deal with.

HTH,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

>>> <Jason.L.Higbee at stls.frb.org> 10/15/03 12:02PM >>>
When I load R-WinEdt (>library(RWinEdt), I get the warning:

Warning message:
multi-argument returns are deprecated in: return(InstallRoot,
RWinEdtInstalled)

I have upgraded to R 1. 8 on Windows, by copying non-base libraries
into
the 1.8 library folder and updating the help.
I also reinstalled R-WinEdt from the zip file as detailed in RWinEdt
ReadMe file using the recommend (A) installation and still get the same

warning.
I have a few questions:

1) Should I be concerned about this warning?

1a) What is deprecating?

2) Is there a way fix it so that the warning message is fixed and
RWinEdt
loads properly?

2a) I read the help file on the return function which mentions, "Prior
R 1.8.0, 'value' could be a series of non-empty
expressions separated by commas"  Would the fix be to find the part of

some code that is executing (whatever and where ever that might be)
when
the editor loads and change it to some thing like
">return(InstallRoot);
return(RWinEdtInstalled)"?

Thanks for you comments and assistance,

Jason Higbee