R-WinEdt, [R] 1.8, deprecating warning

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Oct 15 18:22:08 CEST 2003

Jason.L.Higbee at stls.frb.org wrote:

> When I load R-WinEdt (>library(RWinEdt), I get the warning:
>
> Warning message:
> multi-argument returns are deprecated in: return(InstallRoot,
> RWinEdtInstalled)
>
> I have upgraded to R 1. 8 on Windows, by copying non-base libraries into
> the 1.8 library folder and updating the help.
> I also reinstalled R-WinEdt from the zip file as detailed in RWinEdt
> ReadMe file using the recommend (A) installation and still get the same
> warning.
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Should I be concerned about this warning?

> 1a) What is deprecating?

See ?Deprecated:
"These functions are provided for compatibility with older versions of R
only, and may be defunct as soon as of the next release."

> 2) Is there a way fix it so that the warning message is fixed and RWinEdt
> loads properly?

Yes: Use the recent version of R-WinEdt in package RWinEdt_1.5-1.zip

> 2a) I read the help file on the return function which mentions, "Prior to
> R 1.8.0, 'value' could be a series of non-empty
> expressions separated by commas"  Would the fix be to find the part of
> some code that is executing (whatever and where ever that might be)  when
> the editor loads and change it to some thing like ">return(InstallRoot);
> return(RWinEdtInstalled)"?

No, the fix is to change it to
   return(list(InstallRoot = InstallRoot,
     RWinEdtInstalled = WinEdtInstalled))
which already has been done for the recent version.

Uwe Ligges