[R] Illegal instruction - R 1.7.1 under RH 9 Intel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 08:36:42 CEST 2003

We've seen things like this on RH, and it boiled down to the exact state
of the updates on different systems.  Indeed, we currently have a
situation that R compiled on server A will crash on one of servers B or C,
for any choice of A amongst the three servers.  (Fortunately R compiled on
D works on all of A B C.)  All the machines concerned are dual PIIIs.

We are in the process of ensuring that all our machines are patched with
exactly the same update rpms, but that is probably not the whole story as
we have encountered problems between single-processor P4 and
dual-processor PIII machines (obviously running different kernels, at the
same patch level).  (It's also a problem with 100 odd machines, many of
which are dual-boot and rarely in Linux.)

I can only suggest you build R from the sources yourself on the laptop,
unless Martyn has a better idea.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk