[R] Illegal instruction - R 1.7.1 under RH 9 Intel

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Sep 1 09:04:54 CEST 2003

rab <rab at nauticom.net> writes:

> I installed R 1.7.1 on my intel desktop (RH 9) without any problems.
> I installed the same binary (R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm) on my Toshiba
> Satellite 2535cds (RH 9). R starts as usual all the way to how to quit
> then prints:
>
> Illegal instruction
>
> and exits to the shell prompt. I also had installed the patched
> readline rpm.
>
> How can I fix this? I've never had a problem running R before on the laptop.

Couple of questions which might help us get closer to the source of
the trouble:

Does it happen if you turn off readline processing? (R --no-readline)
If so, and if you're not running the KDE konsole, you might want to
try downgrading readline to the original version. Apart from that,
could you try running under the debugger (R -d gdb) and tell us where
the crash is coming from?