[R] function is too long to keep source

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 18:56:56 CEST 2003

Marcel Vieira wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> But I am getting that error message when I am trying to
> load my function. Then I can't use anything to minimise it.
>
> Is there anything I can do to increase R's
> capacity for loading very long functions?

I assume by 'load' you must be somehow using 'source' to read your file
into R. help("source") says:

     If `options'("keep.source") is true (the default), the source of
      functions is keep so they can be listed exactly as input. This
      imposes a limit of 128K chars on the function size and a nesting
      limit of 265.  Use `option(keep.source = FALSE)' when these limits
      might take effect: if exceeded they generate an error.

Baz