[R] Installing R on Red Hat Linux, Tcl/Tk

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Sep 6 04:37:00 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 07:13, James Wettenhall wrote:
> I've been trying to install R on Red Hat Linux 9 for some
> potential users of my R/TclTk application.  I tried using the
> rpm for R 1.7.1 for Red Hat Linux 9.  It told me that I needed:
> libtcl8.3.so
> so I looked for a binary release of Tcl 8.3.x on
> http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.3.html
> but found that the link to the Tcl 8.3.x binaries pointed to
> ActiveTcl 8.4.x . I couldn't see the old 8.3.x binaries
> anywhere.  ActiveTcl is a nice easy way to get the extensions
> like Tktable, but it seemed to be the wrong version.
[....]

I cannot resist pointing that after

	$ apt-get install tktable

everything just works under Debian, in this case the "testing" flavour that
will eventually morph into  the next Debian stable release:

	$ R --slave
	> library(tcltk)
	> tt <- tktoplevel()
	> tclRequire("Tktable")
	<Tcl> 2.8
	> table1 <- tkwidget(tt,"table")
	> tkpack(table1)
	<Tcl>

Same with bwidget, iwidgets and a few other tcl/tk extensions. All available
straight from the Debian mirrors.

Hth,  Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx