[R] Installing R on Red Hat Linux, Tcl/Tk

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Sat Sep 6 05:18:02 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 21:37, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 07:13, James Wettenhall wrote:
> > I've been trying to install R on Red Hat Linux 9 for some
> > potential users of my R/TclTk application.  I tried using the
> > rpm for R 1.7.1 for Red Hat Linux 9.  It told me that I needed:
> > libtcl8.3.so
> > so I looked for a binary release of Tcl 8.3.x on
> > http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.3.html
> > but found that the link to the Tcl 8.3.x binaries pointed to
> > ActiveTcl 8.4.x . I couldn't see the old 8.3.x binaries
> > anywhere.  ActiveTcl is a nice easy way to get the extensions
> > like Tktable, but it seemed to be the wrong version.
> [....]
>
> I cannot resist pointing that after
>
> 	$ apt-get install tktable
>
> everything just works under Debian, in this case the "testing" flavour that
> will eventually morph into  the next Debian stable release:
>
> 	$ R --slave
> 	> library(tcltk)
> 	> tt <- tktoplevel()
> 	> tclRequire("Tktable")
> 	<Tcl> 2.8
> 	> table1 <- tkwidget(tt,"table")
> 	> tkpack(table1)
> 	<Tcl>
>
> Same with bwidget, iwidgets and a few other tcl/tk extensions. All available
> straight from the Debian mirrors.
>
> Hth,  Dirk

While I don't use apt-get, I did just download the TkTable 2.8 tarball
from sourceforge:

did the ./configure, make, make install process (about 2 minutes) and I
get the same output as Dirk above (including the nice table widget)
under RH 9 using the default RH installation of tcl/tk (8.3). So the
ActiveTcl version 8.4 is not required.

I suspect this gives further support to the likely key issue being the
resultant mix of tcl/tk versions that James is dealing with.

HTH,

Marc