[R] insert eps into microsft word

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 21:26:00 CEST 2003

Depending on your version of Word that simply is *not* true!

I can't test this here (I now have Word XP/2002) but my colleagues have
Word 97 on their college-supplied service (yes, really!) and despite not
being able to see a preview, they can quite happily import eps files I
have produced during the course of my work. Admitedly a blank box in
word is not the most user-friendly thing to work with, but this old
version of Word will happily deal with the postscript produced.

Having used Word 2000 and XP during the course of writing a PhD thesis
that used R-generated plots extensively, I know first hand how easy it
is to deal with eps files from R in Word.

My setup involves using Ghostscript/GSView on Windows XP to view the eps
plots I produce in R and then import them into Word XP (the eps filter
now seems to add a preview for you), but if you have an earlier word
version, GSView can easily add a preview for you.

Also, onefile = TRUE does *not* produce eps files.

I quote from ?postscript :

  onefile: logical: if true (the default) allow multiple figures in one
           file.  If false, generate a file name containing the page
           number and use an EPSF header and no `DocumentMedia' comment.

It is a bit confusing, but onefile = TRUE is for producing multi-page
postscript documents, i.e. put all the plots to follow into a single
postscript doc with (possibly) more than a single page.

I know a number of people have suggested using a windows metafile.
Whilst this might offer a solution to your problem, unless you are using
a very-out-of-date version of Word I cannot see the advantages of using
metafiles over postscript.

HTH

Gavin