[R] how to insert a double quote with the paste function?

David Khabie-Zeitoune dave at evocapital.com
Thu Sep 11 10:15:07 CEST 2003

Philippe

You seem to have the right answer already, unless I misunderstand...

If I define:

> x = "Hello \"World\""
Then the default print method for this character string will give the rather ugly looking:

[1] "Hello \"World\""

But this is just R telling us that it does recognise the escape sequence \". If we pass this variable to a more output-friendly function like cat, we get:

> cat(x)
Hello "World"

So the variable x really does contain  'Hello "World"', it's just that R's default print method will show the escape characters used in a string.