[R] Retrieve ... argument values

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Tue Sep 16 16:47:55 CEST 2003

For most purposes a more useful technique is to write the
function with a default NULL argument

myfunc <- function(x, ylim=NULL)

so that it can be called as myfunc(x) or myfunc(x,y). Inside
the function you test for !is.null(ylim) and take appropriate
action.

Alternatively, and maybe more commonly, you give ylim a
sensible default so the caller has to be explicit about
setting ylim to NULL if required.

As it happens, in your specific case you can write as you did except
for the pseudo-line(hasArg(ylim)), because all arguments will get
passed to plot, which will itself recognise and test for
an argument called ylim, within its own "...".

HTH

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}