[R] xgobi vs ggobi

Christian Hennig hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 22 13:45:04 CEST 2003

Hi Ted,

here is something rather imprecise. I have both xgobi and ggobi on my
computer. Up to now, I used almost always xgobi, because it contains the
features that I need. Some of these are not in ggobi (e.g. mean/sd and med/mad
standardization). ggobi has also some instabilties (no details now, because
it's some time ago that I encountered them). In general, ggobi looks more
user friedly, is supposed to communicate better with R and does also
some standardization and other things which are not in xgobi.

So my advice is to take them both.

Best,
Christian

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm at the point where I'd normally install xgobi (which I've
> used and found very useful), but there is the alternative of
> ggobi (now at version 0.9).
>
> Would anyone with experience of both care to indicate the
> merits of either relative to the other?
>
> The other thing I can't make out too clearly from the ggobu
> website is quite what's involved in choosing between the
> various options. I gather you have to install ggobi itself
> (presumably the "standalone"), and then Rggobi; but there are
> options for ggobi:
>
> #  stand-alone,
> # stand-alone with XML support,
> # stand-alone and embeddable ggobi library,
>   (this implies an embeddable ggobi library is created.)
> # stand-alone and embeddable ggobi library with XML support,
> # R interface (allowing ggobi to be controlled from R)
> # Python interface (allowing ggobi to be controlled from Python)
> # Perl interface (allowing ggobi to be controlled from Perl)
>
> I'm not a Perl fan, so won't be strongly tempted by that option.
> I might find a use for Python, however, and clearly I need the
> R interface. I'm more at a loss about the first four:
>
> # With/without XML support, with/without embeddable ggobi library
>
> Is there likely to be much advantage, for normal use, in XML?
> Are there serious implications in the footprint with this option?
> [I'm not generously endowed with RAM here, and would like to keep
>  as much as possible for real things, i.e. analysing data]
>
> What are the merits of the embeddable library?
>
> With thanks,
> Ted.

Christian Hennig
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum (LEO), CH-8092 Zuerich (currently)
and Fachbereich Mathematik-SPST/ZMS, Universitaet Hamburg
hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch, http://stat.ethz.ch/~hennig/
hennig at math.uni-hamburg.de, http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/hennig/