[R] xgobi vs ggobi

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 22 14:11:14 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Christian Hennig wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> here is something rather imprecise. I have both xgobi and ggobi on my
> computer. Up to now, I used almost always xgobi, because it contains the
> features that I need. Some of these are not in ggobi (e.g. mean/sd and med/mad
> standardization). ggobi has also some instabilties (no details now, because
> it's some time ago that I encountered them). In general, ggobi looks more
> user friedly, is supposed to communicate better with R and does also
> some standardization and other things which are not in xgobi.

I think GGobi is also *supposed to be* more "Windows"-friendly, as it does
not need an X Server running -- whereas you need to have an X Server
running on Windows in order to use XGobi.

The installation process of GGobi is also easier.  If my memory serves me
right, I think the XGobi development has sort of stopped and the
developers are now concentrating on GGobi?  I could be wrong though...

The other thing, I think, is that GGobi supports XML data format and XGobi
doesn't (or not very well?).

--
Cheers,

Kevin

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
---- From Computer Stupidities: http://rinkworks.com/stupid/

--
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang