[R] 64-bit Oracle interface

Joerg Schaber Joerg.Schaber at uv.es
Wed Sep 24 14:43:11 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am running the 64bit version of R on a AIX RS6000 cluster on which is
also running the ' SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.2.0' in the
'ORACLE-environment Version 64 bit AIX 5.1'.
I have problems setting up an Oralce database connection.

I can instantiate a driver using  drv <- Oracle(). But when I try to
connect to my database using dbConnect (dbConnect(drv, dbname="xxx",
username="xxx", password="xxx")) I get the message:
Error in oraNewConnection(drv, ...) : RS-DBI driver: (ORA-12154:
TNS:could not resolve service name)

When I use oraNewConnection (oraNewConnection(drv,username="xxx",
password="xxx")) I get the message:
Error in oraNewConnection(drv, username = "pheno", password = "pheno") :
        RS-DBI driver: (ORA-12541: TNS:no listener)

However, sqlplus works well and the listener is also running.

Any idea what could be the problem here?

joerg