[R] Minimize a plot window

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 7 13:34:17 CEST 2004

Mark O. Kimball wrote:
> Is it possible to start a X11() device in a minimized state? I have many
> windows, each with useful data, which clutter the screen. Having each
> window minimize upon creation would help.

  I tried really hard, but couldn't find a way to do this.

  Firstly, X11() doesn't handle arbitrary X arguments, so you can't do:
X11("-iconify");

  Secondly, X11() doesn't bother with X resources, so you can't add
"R_X11.iconic: 1" or similar to your Xresources.

  If you are using the twm window manager, you might be able to tell it
to start X11 windows iconified using the 'StartIconified [{win-list}]'
option. It says:

         "This  is  useful  for programs that do not support an
         -iconic command line option or resource."

  But these days twm isn't much useful for anything else...

  So, perhaps some coding in devX11.c required....

Baz