[R] Minimize a plot window

Tamas Papp tpapp at axelero.hu
Wed Apr 7 16:27:12 CEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:34:17PM +0100, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Mark O. Kimball wrote:
> >Is it possible to start a X11() device in a minimized state? I have many
> >windows, each with useful data, which clutter the screen. Having each
> >window minimize upon creation would help.
>
>  I tried really hard, but couldn't find a way to do this.
>
>  Firstly, X11() doesn't handle arbitrary X arguments, so you can't do:
> X11("-iconify");
>
>  Secondly, X11() doesn't bother with X resources, so you can't add
> "R_X11.iconic: 1" or similar to your Xresources.
>
>  If you are using the twm window manager, you might be able to tell it
> to start X11 windows iconified using the 'StartIconified [{win-list}]'
> option. It says:
>
>         "This  is  useful  for programs that do not support an
>         -iconic command line option or resource."
>
>  But these days twm isn't much useful for anything else...
>
>  So, perhaps some coding in devX11.c required....

Some window managers let you do specific things to windows matching
some sort of filter.  It is a long time since I last used the window
manager sawfish, but I think that it has something like this.  Also,
it is customizable in Lisp, so it is very flexible if the GUI doesn't
have what you are looking for.

I am using ratpoison (I admit that it is not for the casual user, but
I find it very productive, also with R).  Using the "rudeness" option,
you can disable raising windows new entirely.  You could even hack up
a call from R (ratpoison can be controlled from the command line, like
sawfish) to set rudeness to 0 when you start plotting those windows,
and restore it to whatever is convenient when you are done.  However,
if you like GUI's, ratpoison will be a bad choice for anything else
--- read the manual before using it, otherwise you won't even be able
to quit.

Best,

Tamas

--
Tamás K. Papp
E-mail: tpapp at axelero.hu
Please try to send only (latin-2) plain text, not HTML or other garbage.