[R] RODBC on FreeBSD 4.9

Charles and Kimberly Maner ckjmaner at carolina.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 04:24:58 CEST 2004

Hello.  I have found a number of posts/threads on this
subject and remain unsuccessful to determine the
solution.  In brief, my situation is:

1.  Running FreeBSD 4.9 Stable in x86
2.  Installed, and running, R 1.8.1
3.  Installed, and running, postgreSQL 7.4.2
4.  Installed, and running, unixODBC 2.2.8
5.  Failed, repeatedly, to install RODBC.  The
following is my error log:

tsunami# R CMD INSTALL RODBC
* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler...
yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none
needed
checking for library containing SQLTables... no
configure: error: "no ODBC driver manager found"
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/RODBC'

I have set up the DSN/databases using ODBCConfig,
viewed/confirmed through DataManager and have even
used isql to further confirm that all is set up
correctly.  I have read, numerous times, the README
within RODBC.  Unfortunately, I am out of ideas.
Therefore, I am asking for ideas of others.

Also, I found, and employed, the results from a
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2001-October/014693.html,
and reset my LIBS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to those
suggested by the author.  Again, no joy.

So, any thoughts, with successful ones perhaps
resulting in an FAQ/how-to, would be most appreciated.

(Also, please let me know what more info you may need
to help and I will gladly provide it.)

Charles