[R] missing values for MARS (was mda package)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 21:16:23 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Wang, Zhu wrote:

> I basically wanted to use MARS to reproduce results using the dataset
> "Marketing" in the following book
>
> http://www-stat-class.stanford.edu/~tibs/ElemStatLearn/
>
> The authors actually provided S-Plus functions for mars, bruto ,etc. I
> used all default options of mars in R but there was an error due to NAs
> and I could not find any option to handle missing values.

Friedman originated MARS and has code for it.  The code in mda by
Hastie/Tibshirani is different, and the code on that website is a direct
ancestor of the mda package for R.  I see no option in the code for mars
there to handle missing values, so you would do better to ask the authors
how they did it (if you really believe they have such an option).

And PLEASE read the posting guide and try to learn to ask precise
questions with enough background information!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk