[R] openMosix and R: File I/O issues?

Jim Thomas james at staarfunds.com
Tue Apr 20 17:16:21 CEST 2004

Hi there,

We're attempting to run an LVQ analysis over a cluster of machines via R
and openMosix.  R spawns several child processes simply by writing
commands to several files and using system() to start a slave process.
 The processes migrate perfectly, and often finish with no reported
errors, writing their results into respective files for the parent
process to piece together.  However, occasionally we have had the
problem that the results from a child process never make it into a file.
 The process finishes, and exits, with no errors - but the file never
turns up.  Repeated tests with the same data have shown that the
specific process that dies is random, and stress tests of R I/O have
shown that there are no issues there.  Does anyone know of I/O issues
with openMosix, either specifically related to R or not?

using:
openMosix kernel 2.4.21
R 1.8.1
RedHat Enterprise Edition