[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 20 23:45:31 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Brett Melbourne wrote:

> That exact same thing is happening to me too. It seems to be intermittent.
> After a reboot, it might (but might not) fix itself. My older versions of R
> also no longer work. R1.8.1 fails with the windows message "R for Windows
> GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry
> for the inconvenience."
>
> This appears to have occured to me after installing the latest Microsoft
> Windows critical updates. I have reinstalled R1.8.1 and R1.9.0 to no avail.
> None of the other programs on my computer are affected, only R.
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this?

Yes. With 1.8.1 if the updates are installed R fails as you indicate. If
the updates are taken off it works again. Bit of a problem here because
the University IT Security runs checks on the updates and complains to
users who don't have them installed.

> Brett
> Brett Melbourne, Postdoctoral Fellow
> Biological Invasions IGERT www.cpb.ucdavis.edu/bioinv
> Center for Population Biology, Storer Hall
> University of California Davis CA 95616

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics