[R] installing R on Fedora Core 2 test 2

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Apr 27 17:21:48 CEST 2004

Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:

> The one thing I cannot figure out is that readline does not
> work.  It was installed, but apparently not detected.  Grepping
> config.site for readline gets stuff like this:
>
> configure:21256: checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline
> configure:21286: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include
> -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl -lncurses -lm  >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline

Hm? The usual problem is that people forget to install readline-devel,
but is that the expected error message then? Could you do an rpm -ql
readline and see where the libreadline stuff went to? If you did
forget readline-devel, try that first of course.

BTW, it might be a good idea to see if you can rpm --rebuild from
Martyn's src.rpm. That gives you your very own .rpm, which you can
install and eventually upgrade (which is the point) using the standard
tools.