[R] installing R on Fedora Core 2 test 2

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Wed Apr 28 17:49:51 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 17:21, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:
>
> > The one thing I cannot figure out is that readline does not
> > work.  It was installed, but apparently not detected.  Grepping
> > config.site for readline gets stuff like this:
> >
> > configure:21256: checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline
> > configure:21286: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include
> > -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl -lncurses -lm  >&5
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
>
> Hm? The usual problem is that people forget to install readline-devel,
> but is that the expected error message then? Could you do an rpm -ql
> readline and see where the libreadline stuff went to? If you did
> forget readline-devel, try that first of course.
>
> BTW, it might be a good idea to see if you can rpm --rebuild from
> Martyn's src.rpm. That gives you your very own .rpm, which you can
> install and eventually upgrade (which is the point) using the standard
> tools.

The RPM also has a patched shell script that sets LANG=C so you don't
get the warning about utf-8 locales not being supported (This may not
worry you, but try checking an R package and you will see it can be a
problem).

You can check the CAPABILITIES file against my rpm for Fedora 1 (which
you can download from CRAN) to make sure you got everything.

I'll be moving to Fedora 2 when it is released.  But the rapid release
schedule of Fedora, combined with lack of binary compatibility between
versions, does pose problems for me as a binary package maintainer. I
think I will only maintain the current and previous releases at any
given time.

Martyn