[R] Not attaching zip files to postings.. {was "dudi.pcabehaviour..."}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 2 11:43:38 CEST 2004

    HenrikB> It's not fun to receieve 1 MB files via a 56k modem
    HenrikB> (as I am sometimes forced to use). Although not in
    HenrikB> the posting guide, I would appreciate if that big
    HenrikB> attachements could be posted on a webpage with a
    HenrikB> URL to in the message, if possible. Is this a good
    HenrikB> suggestion?

Definitely.
And it has been made on the R lists more than once.
Note that the current limit for a single posting to R-help
is 100K anyway.  I'd have to manually approve larger ones
(and I most often don't approve).

The only somewhat embarassing thing: When I wrote the above, I
thought this *was* in the posting guide but it isn't..

Henrik, would you be willing to send me a small "diff" against the
current posting-guide.html ?

    HenrikB> Of course, such files will be lost in
    HenrikB> the mail archives as time goes by.

yes, but their relevance will be degrading as well.

Martin