[R] basic questions: any place for them

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Aug 3 20:05:24 CEST 2004

> From: Tiago R Magalhaes
>
> Hi
> I have two basic questions, and here they go, but I was wondering as
> well where can I ask these basic questions without bothering  you
> people
>

> I've used Splus and now I'm using R and there's some functions that I
> can't simply find
>
> one:
> sort.col
> that allows data.frames to be sort by a given col
> (I saw the funtion sort but that's for vectors. and I can't believe I
> can't find the function for data.frames)

This is sort of an FAQ.  The short answer is to use order().  I've posted a
suggestion for a sort() method for data.frame the last time this was asked.
You can find it in the list archive.

> the other function I wanted to know:
> convert.col.type
> that converts a given column of a data frame from let's say integer
> to characters

This can usually be done by something like:

dat$thiscol <- as.blah(dat$thiscol)

[replace `as.blah' appropriately; e.g., as.character(), etc.]  Just be
careful with factors.

Andy