[R] Order of messgaes/ missing messages

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Wed Aug 4 18:38:42 CEST 2004

It has to do with the topology of the web - if you are web-wise closer to
the responder than the original sender you can receive the answer before the
question - even if both answer and question go only to the list.

I learned this suscribed to SAS-L when I was at UF - I was downstream from
Bob Hamer (then at VCU) who, at the time, seemed to answer many of the
questions on SAS-L.  He would get the questions quickly because at VCU he
was (web-wise) close to a source of sending - I would always get his
the web - after he moved to Rutgers the whole phenomenon stopped  (and if I
recall John Williams became primary answerer).

I wondered how long it would take before someone on this list asked about
it.  I see the answer before question phenomenon on this list quite strongly
and for me it is often Spencer Graves' answer I see first - like this one :)
Bob