[R] Giving a first good impression of R to Social Scientists

susana barbosa susana.barbosa at fc.up.pt
Thu Aug 12 12:29:28 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have encountered big difficulties trying to persuade my undergraduate
students, with very "slight" background either in statistics or computing to
use R instead of SPSS.

 I tried to start with a sort of very, very simple sample session, just for
showing that R is not as complicated as they think and it is worth trying....
The idea was to give them a kind of simple lab guide they could follow at
their own pace, and stimulate them to search in help files, etc... I think it
is important that they get used to try around the examples and documentation
to solve specific problems...

Best
Susana

--