[R] correlation structures in NLME

Michael Jerosch-Herold jeroschh at ohsu.edu
Thu Aug 12 23:10:31 CEST 2004

I am using the latest version of R on a Windows machine and get the
following error when I try to initialize a correlation structure with
the function corAR1 in NLME. This example is taken from the book of
Pinheiro and Bates, so it should work. What is going wrong?

> library(nlme)
> data(Orthodont)
> cs1AR1 <- corAR1(0.8, form= ~1 | Subject)
> cs1AR1 <- initialize(cs1AR1, data = Orthodont)
Error in methodsPackageMetaName("C", name) :
        The name of the object (e.g,. a class or generic function) to
find in the meta-data must be a single string (got a character vector of
length 2)
In addition: Warning message:
the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
in: if (!is.na(match(Class, .BasicClasses))) return(newBasic(Class,

Thank you!

Michael Jerosch-Herold