[R] huge array with floats: allocation error

Christoph Lehmann christoph.lehmann at gmx.ch
Mon Aug 16 17:43:36 CEST 2004

Hi

After searching through a couples of documents and the mailing list I
dare to ask it here

I need to define an array with the size 64 x 64 x 16 x 1000 for
single-precision floating-point numbers. With 1G RAM I get always the
error:

"cannot allocate vector of size 458752 Kb"
"reached total allocation of 1022MB: see help(memory.size)"

I consulted memory.size() but it didn't help me.

so my question: I know that there is NO float type in R. Is there any
way to solve my problem, without increasing the RAM?

many thanks

Cheers!
Christoph