[R] paired t-test vs pairwise t-test

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:33:46 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 14:42, Liaw, Andy wrote:
 > Perhaps other stat packages do it differently?  Does SPSS manuals detail
 > what its t-test procedure does, including which t-test(s) it does and
when
 > it's appropriate?

SAS documentation, which Marc pointed out, is much more detailed than SPSS.
For completeness, here's SPSS's:

username Guest, password Guest (case sensitive):
http://support.spss.com/tech/stat/algorithms/algorithms.htm

specifically, for the t-test, see
http://support.spss.com/tech/stat/Algorithms/12.0/t_test.pdf

 > That might make it easier on users, but I still think the
 > users should learn the appropriate use of statistical procedures
 > elsewhere...

Hell, I took my share of stats classes, but it's not like the terminology is
always standard, anyway. I much prefer a walked-through example to an
abstract explanation like "Calculate pairwise comparisons between group
levels with corrections for multiple testing." That seems terse to me. It
sorta makes sense only after the fact.