[R] paired t-test vs pairwise t-test

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:48:35 CEST 2004

From: Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk>
>I didn't suggest looking at the example section of the help pages
>without a reason...
>It should be pretty clear example(pairwise.t.test) does give output
>that pretty clearly indicates that all pairwise comparisons are being
>performed.

It's only clear if you know what you're looking for. Worse: the
pairwise.t.test help page tells me that the value is an "Object of class
'pairwise.htest'". Fine, but help.search("pairwise.htest") produces nothing
at all. Sorry, but I'm just a newbie having a tough time interpreting the
pairwise.t.test function and its output.

P.S. Try googling for "pairwise t-test". Ironically enough, the first hit
that correctly explains what pairwise.t.test() does is a SAS help page
that's at number 10 for me; the preceding 9 hits confuse paired t-tests and
pairwise t-tests.
http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/v7/whatsnew/insight/sect3.htm